A one-pot main course, just right for weekend eating!
Simply put all the ingredients into a casserole dish and leave to cook gently.
- 250g organic shallots
- 2-2.4kg part-boned whole lamb leg
- 500ml Waitrose Scrumpy Cider
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Place the shallots in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for about 5 minutes until the skins soften, then drain.
- Place the lamb in a large casserole dish or small roasting tin and add the cider, vinegar, thyme and garlic. Peel the shallots, trimming off the ends but keeping them whole. Add to the pot, season and cover with a lid or foil. Cook for about 4-4½ hours or until the meat is thoroughly cooked and very tender.
- Carefully lift the lamb onto a carving board, cover and rest in a warm place for 5-10 minutes. Strain the liquid then return to the pan and reduce for 5-6 minutes. Carve the lamb and serve with the shallots and gravy.
- A lightly sparkling dry cider with crisp acidity and clean apple flavours, will complement the lamb.