There have been awards for cider makers both sides of the pond this week, with the Fifth annual Great Lakes International Cider & Perry Competition taking place.
Congratulations to Snowdrift Cider who are the newest cider producers in America, even so their cider brought home two medals a bronze in the English Style, and a gold in the New England Style category.
As well as our friends at Eden Ice Cider who won both gold and silver with their blends in the Intensified Cider & Perry category.
Here are the results that include English cider makers:
English Cider (10 Entries)
- Gold – Westcott Bay Cider Westcott Bay, Traditional Dry Cider, Friday Harbor, WA
Silver – Westcott Bay Cider, Westcott Bay Traditional Very Dry Cider, Friday Harbor, WA
- Silver – Henney’s Cider Co., Frome Valley Sweet, Herefordshire, England
- Silver – Oliver’s Cider House, Hereforshire Medium Cider, Herefordshire, England
- Bronze – Aspall Cyders, Aspall Dry Cider, Suffolk, England
- Bronze – Aspall Cyders, Aspall Medium Cider, Suffolk, England
- Bronze – Oliver’s Cider House, Herefordshire Dry Cider, Herefordshire, England
- Bronze – Henney’s Cider Co., Vintage, Herefordshire, England
Traditional Perry (2 Entries)
- Silver – Oliver’s Cider House, Herefordshire Dry Perry, Herefordshire, England
- Bronze – Oliver’s Cider House, Blakeney Red Perry, Herefordshire, England
Notes on the above categories – Apple or pear only, fermented from single strength juice, with standard cellar treatments
Macro Cider (8 Entries)
- Silver – H.Weston and Sons Ltd., Old Rosie Cloudy Scrumpy, Herefordshire, England
- Silver – H.Weston and Sons Ltd., Stowford Press Medium Dry Draft, Herefordshire, England
Notes on this category – for ciders or perries that aim to be standard in style but do not wish to be constrained by ingredient requirements
The full results are on Old Time Cider web site.
As Dave from the old time site says “I urge you all to pick up any of these ciders on the list or even any local craft cider you can find”.
Here, here! Congratulations to all the winners and all the entrants. We look forward to seeing lots more entries next year. In the meantime, keep up the excellent work cider makers!